Time off for dependents
You have the right to take a reasonable amount of paid time off during your working hours to deal with certain unexpected or sudden problems affecting your spouse, partner, child or parent, or someone who depends upon you for care.
The circumstances under which time off can be taken are:
- If a dependent falls ill, or has been injured or assaulted
- When a dependent is having a baby
- To make longer term care arrangements for a dependent who is ill or injured
- To deal with the death of a dependent
- To deal with the unexpected disruption or breakdown of care arrangements for a dependent
- To deal with an unexpected incident involving your child during school hours
The amount of time will depend upon each individual situation, typically 1-2 days. If you need to take longer, speak to your manager.